10 reasons to support agroecology
Why do you need to support agroecology? Here are 10 reasons!
2. As agroecological food systems are based on diversity, resilience and equity, they can tackle climate, biodiversity and hunger crises together.
3. Thanks to its cross-cutting principles, agroecological food systems can help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
4. Agroecology provides a pathway to protect nature, conserve the richness of biodiversity and restore degraded land and ecosystems, while producing healthy, diversified nutritious and culturally appropriate food.
5. Diverse agroecological systems can improve the resilience of family farmers and rural communities and boost local economies and markets.
6. Agroecology values ancient local practices and knowledge, but it also relies on constant innovations based on specific local conditions, integrating traditional, experimental, and scientific knowledge.
7. Agroecology can feed the world if we radically rethink the economic and social mechanisms that keep farmers controlled by international markets at the expense of themselves and their families.
8. Agroecology promotes direct contact between producers and consumers, which leads to less intermediaries, more affordable food for consumers and better remuneration for farmers.
9. Agroecology can enhance the potential of urban agriculture through the design of diversified, productive, and resilient urban farm.
10. Agroecology promotes social justice and defends rights for farmers, farm workers, Indigenous Peoples, food producers, including women and youth, and aims at strengthening their role at the center of the food system.